9 replies to this topic

#1 FallguyArmy

Adventurer

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Primary Device:iPhone 4S

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

Above is one of the main trailers shown in 2010 for NCSoft's upcoming MMORPG, "Blade and Soul". The game heavily focuses on martial arts gameplay. As such, it emphasizes skill-based combos. Blade and Soul just ended its CBT2 a few months ago in South Korea. Let's hope it makes it to the west! :)

Below is a two-part trailer of the game's prologue and tutorial, which all happens in the starter town if I'm not mistaken. I have to say, this is probably one of the most epic "starter town experience" I've ever seen in an MMORPG:

Posted Image

Some things we know about the game:
  • Four playable races: Gon, Jin, Kun, Lyn
  • Five race-locked classes: Assassin, Blade Master, Destroyer, Force Master, Kung-Fu Master
  • Unique Training System allows players to level up and customize the skill sets of their characters
  • Use the force of "Qing Gong" to move at extremely fast speeds and reach hard places
Posted Image

Some links of interest:
Blade and Soul Dojo
PlayNC Official Site

..-. .- .-.. .-.. --. ..- -.-- .- .-. -- -.--

#2 ErzaScarlet8

Adventurer

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFar Far Away
  • Primary Device:iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

I saw this game awhile ago but yeah, I seriously Want to try this game out! Im a huge fan of these type of mmos hehe...and yes! Hopefully it come to the West! xD
Posted Image

#3 Arkwright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Primary Device:PSP

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

I've participated in both CBT (1 & 2) 3 is scheduled for next year, and I can honestly say, in my years of mmo gaming, this is the most fun I have ever had.
(Kung Fu Master FTW)

#4 FallguyArmy

Adventurer

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:30 AM

View PostErzaScarlet8, on 29 December 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

I saw this game awhile ago but yeah, I seriously Want to try this game out! Im a huge fan of these type of mmos hehe...and yes! Hopefully it come to the West! xD

Yep, I've been waiting for this game for a couple of years now. I hope we get an NA/EU or even a global server. The game looks just way too good to pass up and not be experienced by gamers outside of Korea.

View PostArkwright, on 29 December 2011 - 07:22 PM, said:

I've participated in both CBT (1 & 2) 3 is scheduled for next year, and I can honestly say, in my years of mmo gaming, this is the most fun I have ever had.
(Kung Fu Master FTW)

Ah man, you got into the betas? Lucky! :)

Quick question, does the game support gamepads, like a wired Xbox 360 controller? Also, is it really tab-targetting as shown in the videos, or do we get the option for non-target combat? And last but not least, in regards to the combo system, are we able to spam skills or do we have to wait for one skill to finish before executing another one?

#5 Arkwright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:03 AM

View PostFallguyArmy, on 30 December 2011 - 12:30 AM, said:

Yep, I've been waiting for this game for a couple of years now. I hope we get an NA/EU or even a global server. The game looks just way too good to pass up and not be experienced by gamers outside of Korea.

Ah man, you got into the betas? Lucky! :)

Quick question, does the game support gamepads, like a wired Xbox 360 controller? Also, is it really tab-targetting as shown in the videos, or do we get the option for non-target combat? And last but not least, in regards to the combo system, are we able to spam skills or do we have to wait for one skill to finish before executing another one?

1. I've never used a controller for the game (But I hear that a console port is in the works for the PS3)

2. The targeting system isn't tab-target (If you've played the Devil May Cry series it's like that, you're provided with a small crosshair, all you have to do is move your mouse over the target, and once you attack (using the left mouse click or "R" key) it's locked on automatically (unless you move your mouse over something else)

3. The combo system is FANTASTIC and pretty unique.

Example: Let's say you use an ability called {howling fist} once you use {howling fist} and stun your enemy It transitions to {dominate} automatically (meaning you don't have to worry about looking for the "dominate" key) {dominate} then transitions to {Pummel} the final ability allowing you to repeatedly pummel your enemy.

Now if it's left alone for a minute or so, this gives your opponent an opening to attack and your ability is transitioned back to {howling fist}

4. actions are literally based on reflexes and timing and feels like an actual fighting game (and reading your opponent) you don't know how many times I failed at a simple counter (but once I mastered counter, I felt invincible, and when you counter, you can follow it up with an ability, and not just that, if you're fighting multiple enemies and counter when they're all attacking, it automatically blocks the other incoming attacks.

(Just for kicks, here's a nice little Screen shot of my character running on water)
Posted Image

Posted Image
(Guess where I am? lol me and korean friends after the Qing Gong race)

#6 ErzaScarlet8

Adventurer

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFar Far Away
  • Primary Device:iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:12 AM

View PostArkwright, on 30 December 2011 - 01:03 AM, said:

1. I've never used a controller for the game (But I hear that a console port is in the works for the PS3)

2. The targeting system isn't tab-target (If you've played the Devil May Cry series it's like that, you're provided with a small crosshair, all you have to do is move your mouse over the target, and once you attack (using the left mouse click or "R" key) it's locked on automatically (unless you move your mouse over something else)

3. The combo system is FANTASTIC and pretty unique.

Example: Let's say you use an ability called {howling fist} once you use {howling fist} and stun your enemy It transitions to {dominate} automatically (meaning you don't have to worry about looking for the "dominate" key) {dominate} then transitions to {Pummel} the final ability allowing you to repeatedly pummel your enemy.

Now if it's left alone for a minute or so, this gives your opponent an opening to attack and your ability is transitioned back to {howling fist}

4. actions are literally based on reflexes and timing and feels like an actual fighting game (and reading your opponent) you don't know how many times I failed at a simple counter (but once I mastered counter, I felt invincible, and when you counter, you can follow it up with an ability, and not just that, if you're fighting multiple enemies and counter when they're all attacking, it automatically blocks the other incoming attacks.

(Just for kicks, here's a nice little Screen shot of my character running on water)
Posted Image

Posted Image

OMG Nice! XD
Posted Image

#7 Vin

Dreaming

• Administrators
  • 325 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden
  • Primary Device:iPhone 5

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:36 AM

I think it's pretty to look at, but unsure if the overall gameplay will appeal to me. Time will tell, though. Lineage Eternal seems more my cup of tea.
Posted Image
John Milburn Stockholm Sweden
John Milburn Sweden

#8 FallguyArmy

Adventurer

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

@ Arkwright:

You said that you never played the game with a controller, but does that necessarily mean that gamepads aren't compatible? Or, was it more like you chose not to play it with a controller?

But anyway, thanks! I definitely have a better understanding of the combat system now, which has got me even more interested in playing the game. Can't a NA/EU/Global version come any sooner?! :D

View PostArkwright, on 30 December 2011 - 01:03 AM, said:

Posted Image

Lol well, this is tough...You're either in the center behind the moshpit of players, OR you're the one to the far-left...

@ Zyuu: I'm also looking forward to Lineage Eternal. Aargh!! So many games, so little time... :(

#9 Duskjaw

Adventurer

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

It looks like a lot of Korean MMORPGs are moving in the direction of action-oriented gameplay (e.g. Tera).

Maybe even the genre as a whole considering Guild Wars 2's emphasis on actual rolling and strafing to dodge attacks.

I'll be sure to keep tabs on this one!

#10 robo19

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Primary Device:Other

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:43 AM

I found this game about a year ago and I remember questioning "is this really gameplay?!" I can't wait to play it; with such a unique approach to "fast paced action" with stunning graphics I can't imagine a better game, though the game has graced my eyes and possibly blinded me with its bodacious wonders my hands feel a tad left out and without that my full being forbids 100% approval. (Till I play it, I will boast it no more)